First week of production: Exploring Wind.

Hello everyone, it has started, the big game project. Where we have 10 weeks to create a slice of a bigger game concept.

Our game concept is called Exploring Wind, an adventure game where the focus is exploration and puzzle solving, where you can walk around a vast world while progressing through the story. However, since this is far to big to complete in 10 weeks, we are instead creating a vertical slice* of the concept where we focus on getting the mechanics and the feel  of the world right. So while not a finished product, people will hopefully somewhat get the idea of what the full game will look and feel like by playing the vertical slice.

*Vertical slice: a vertical slice of a game is much like a demo, where the main mechanics and functions are shown to give the players a general feel of the game.

During the first week of production I’ve been working with conceptual art for the game, making concepts for objects in the world, giving the people in the team ideas of how things could look and so on. I’m gonna show you the once I made this week, and add some comments on them. Have fun!

THE VILLAGE

Various concepts on what the village and island (pillar) would look like.

A concept made a few weeks back. This is before we decided that the village should be placed on giant stone pillars.
A concept made a few weeks back. This is before we decided that the village should be placed on giant stone pillars.
Concept for the village tents. We wanted to mix the native American teepee and more European stone buildings.
Concept for the village tents. We wanted to mix the native American teepee and more European stone buildings.
One of the first concepts made for the village based on a giant stone pillar.
Another iteration on the village and the mountain
Another iteration on the village and the mountain
A picture made for composition. This will be one of the first things the players will see.
A picture made for composition. This will be one of the first things the players will see.

OBJECTS

Concepts of different objects that will be build in 3D and placed in the world.

A worn horn, repaired with parts of metal, planned to be used to open certain paths in the game.
A worn horn, repaired with parts of metal, planned to be used to open certain paths in the game.
A fan that had several iterations because of it not working mechanically. Used for puzzles in the game.
A fan that had several iterations because of it not working mechanically. Used for puzzles in the game.

Character

The main character concept made by Oscar Mohlin in my group. I did the colouring. We took a lot of inspiration from the Bateleur Eagle with the colours.
The main character concept made by Oscar Mohlin in my group. I did the colouring. We took a lot of inspiration from the Bateleur Eagle with the colours.

flat,550x550,075,f

And that’s all I have to show for now. And this was only the first week of proper production. I will be posting more the coming seven weeks! I hope you enjoyed.

Until next time!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s