Exploring Wind: Week 2 of production.

Hello everyone and welcome to week three of the project, Exploring Wind.

So this week, I’ve been working a lot with the character after we got told that our current design’s silhouette was a bit too close to a concept we had taken inspiration from. So I took on the task to redesign the poncho that the character is wearing to make sure it gets it’s own, unique look.

I started out with making small thumbnails using only gray scale to make silhouettes of different designs. The less it resembled the original concept we looked at, the better.

Looking at different forms and shapes, I managed to whip up a few designs pretty quickly. Don't mind the reaper though, he just kills people.
Looking at different forms and shapes, I managed to whip up a few designs pretty quickly. Don’t mind the reaper though, he just kills people.

The first design of the character had a very round, bell looking poncho, that was one big piece of cloth, much like the original concept. I tried to make the poncho into several different segments and layers, ensuring that I could play around with the silhouette. The design to the far right on the thumbnail picture was the one I decided on in the end, thinking it had a nice feel to it.

A test to see what it looked on its own.
A test to see what it looked like on its own.

After the decision, I simply remade the front view of the character’s poncho into the one in the thumbnail by erasing and adding to the old one, which let me save some time since I didn’t have to redo the whole thing.

The design to the left is the old one, the one to the right is the new one. The hood is still a design in process that we're still trying out.
The design to the left is the old one, the one to the right is the new one. The hood is still a design in process that we’re still trying out.

After the designing of the hood was over, I could go back to making assets for out 3D artist, This time pipes and the pendulum. not much of the week remained when starting this, so I was thankful I only needed to do the pipes and the pendulum, since they were simple making.

For the pipe, I wanted it too look old and rusted and possibly dented. It also sports some tree bark for some groovy Mcgyver fixes.
For the pipe, I wanted it too look old and rusted and possibly dented. It also sports some tree bark for some groovy Mcgyver fixes.
The pendulum consists of a rock, ropes/vines that keeps it above ground. This was really, really simple... Also, it will break stuff in game...hopefully.
The pendulum consists of a rock, ropes/vines that keeps it above ground. This was really, really simple…
Also, it will break stuff in game…hopefully.

And much more than that I didn’t have time for! Lots and lots of discussions with the character designer took most of the time during the week. But all discussion is good discussion, as long as its relevant to the project 😀

And that’s all I had for this week! Stay awesome and stay tuned for next week’s update!

Cheers!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s